Post-Judgment Matters

Legal Issues After Divorce

Some of the impacts of divorce will be felt right away, while other post-judgment matters will have to be addressed over time. The good news is that once you and your spouse have settled on the terms of the divorce, the hardest part is over. But those terms still have to be honored for months or years to come, which may require court-ordered enforcement.Family law attorney Charlotte H. Huggins can help you assert your rights and ensure that a divorce agreement is respected by both parties. Alternatively, we can modify an agreement if your current terms are no longer working.

Enforce Or Modify The Terms Of Your Divorce

If one spouse is paying spousal support, or if you and your spouse have children together, your lives will remain linked for years to come. It’s important to agree on terms that are fair to both parties, and it’s just as important to make sure that both parties stick to those terms over time.

One of the most common problem areas is child support enforcement, since support requires regular payments and most people feel a natural inclination to minimize their monthly expenses whenever possible. Fortunately, there are legal mechanisms in California to enforce these payments — ultimately, a parent ignoring a child support court order can be found in contempt of court and sentenced to time in jail.

The same principle applies to spousal support — it is only owed after a court order is issued, and failure to respond can lead to jail time if other enforcement actions do not work.

As the financial circumstances of you and your spouse change over time, modification of child support arrangements or custody arrangements may also be necessary. We can help you identify necessary changes and formalize them.

Stand Up For Your Long-Term Rights

Once you’ve put in the hard work of settling on divorce arrangements, make sure that those arrangements actually come to be. To see how we can help, contact us online or call us at 415-457-4497 and schedule an initial consultation in our Marin or Sonoma County office to see how a lawyer can help.


Email Charlotte H. Huggins